Skip to main content

Accepting the Unexpected...

Happy New Year's Eve Readers!  Do any of you have any plans for the evening?  I'm happy to say that I do.  I'll be spending the evening with my sister enjoying a lovely meal at Hyde Park Restaurant in downtown Cleveland.  After that... who knows.  But it's nice to know that I actually have plans and not spending my New Year's secretly wallowing in self-pity like I normally did.  I was good at hiding my true feelings.

There is so much on my mind right now as we're leaving 2012 behind and stepping into 2013.  This year was completely unexpected.  I didn't start 2012 with the plan to lose weight. As you know all know, it unexpectedly crept up on me.  I was actually trying to come to terms with the fact that I'd always be fat and there was nothing I could do about it at the beginning of 2012.  I know I was only fooling myself because I truly would have never been happy as morbidly obese individual with only food to console me.  I'd always made secret resolutions to lose weight thinking to myself, "This year will be the year that I do it."  But I never lost weight.  Low expectations = low results, which also means no disappointment.

As unexpected as this year was, I'm glad I accepted it and ran with it.  Along the way, I brought some others with me. I'm not the only one in my circle that lost weight this year.  My sister has made great progress, and my great friend started around November, and she's lost 16 pounds so far.  Yes folks... I've got a revolution on my hands now.  Several people are asking me... curious as to what I'm doing.  What's motivating me.  Every time I hear the word motivation I cringe.  You guys know how I feel about that, and I gladly share it when people ask.  I feel that motivation is only a small part of what keeps me going.  The decision I make about food and exercise are part of my life now.  It's my routine.  Once that routine is settled, and you fully commit to it, it's hard to fall off.  My health and well-being is my number one priority now.  That's why I feel this is working for me

So, we all must be ready to embrace the unexpected blessing that come to us.  Mine came as an email to join a fitness change.  I bet the individual who sent me that email has no clue how the little challenge changed my life.  It changed the way I live.  We must always be ready to take what is giving to us - whether good or bad - and run with it.  I've made some very poor choices this year too.  But I didn't let those choices derail me.  I accepted them, and moved on. Most importantly, I learned from them. 

Accepting the unexpected can be easy... and it can be difficult.  But no matter what life gives you,  

ACCEPT IT.  EMBRACE IT.  LEARN FROM IT. 

Isn't it Ironic, I'm having trouble with accepting the unexpected that occurred this morning.  Today was the deadline for my 30 by December 31st goal I made several months ago.  I was trying to get to my second milestone by December 31, 2012 knowing it would be a difficult challenge. If I met the challenge, I would reward myself with TWO charms and not one.  Well, it seemed like I wasn't going to meet the challenge, and I was cool with it.  I ordered the two charms and I was going to enjoy both of them once I hit milestone #2.  Milestone #2 isn't due until 1/25/2014 at 220.2 pounds.  That would be a total of 124.8 pounds lost since I started.

I weighed myself this past Saturday as usual, and I weighted 222.2.  So I know I couldn't lose two pounds in two days.  No biggie.  I competed a heavy Zumba workout on Saturday.  Yesterday, I did a hellacious Kettlebell/Plyometric workout that I created off the top of my head, and I ended that workout with 100 squats before I fell out in the floor.  Hey!  Don't judge!  I was earning a cheeseburger and fries...which was delicious. 

So, I decided to step on the scale today and report my results to my readers since a deal is a deal.  What does the scale say?  Something unexpected.

220.2

I must have stepped off and on that scale at least five times.  Same results.  I was quite baffled.  I came upstairs then went back downstairs and did it again. 220.2  That's can't be right.  I can't lose two pounds in two days.  That's insane.  So, should I take my own advice and accept it?  I updated my weight on the widgets on this page, but I'm not quite sure of this miraculous weight loss.  So, I guess I made my deadline?  WHO CARES!  I'm getting my Tiffany charms and celebrating! 
 
Happy New Year everyone.  Be safe.  Have fun and most importantly, Keep Calm and Move On!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

33.33333333333% Never Looked So Good!

Good Saturday Blog Readers!  It's a beautiful morning in Northeastern Ohio...just in case you didn't know what I was located.  We've had a relatively mild winter - which has been lovely let me tell you.  I am hoping that Spring is right around the corner, and considering that we will have temps in the lower 60's this week, maybe we've turned the corner.  That would be great because better weather means more opportunities for outside activities. I've had an awesome week folks.  D.T. wasn't dogging my step this week.  He was amazingly absent.  Perhaps he took a long deserved vacation because he was working overtime last week.  I hope he enjoys his vaca and stays even longer.  The longer he languishes out of my sight, the better. I felt completely different this week as well.  I had amazing energy.  I pushed myself to exercise a little bit harder everyday.  I'm hoping to work my body harder each day so muscle memory won't develop.  Muscle memory bri

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to