Skip to main content

Did I Open a Can of Worms?

Hi Readers!  Did you miss me?  I missed you guys, and it's great to be back.  It's nice to take a week off here and there, but so much happens in that time, and I feel like I have monstrous entries when I return.  So get ready for another one. 
 
First up, Dave Matthews weekend was THE BEST!  I had a great time down in Virginia, and CWN and family were such gracious hosts.  Thank you so much for opening up your home to me and the greatness that is The Dave Matthews Band.  It was like going to Graceland for DMB fans.  It was a weekend filled with fun, food, and friends.  And, believe me, I made sure to enjoy all of it. 
 
It can be difficult to manager your food intake when you don't journal everything, and I admit that I didn't document everything that went in my mouth.  What I did do is remain cognizant of what I was eating and how much.  I also shared some meals with my friends.  Sharing meals is a great way to limit your calorie intake.  Sometimes, all you need is a 1/2 and not the whole thing.  It's also a great way to get your sweet fix.  I love sharing desserts with people. 
 
So, after Dave Matthews Stellar Weekend, I was back to work and working out.  I missed two days so I was a bit concerned as to how I'd jump back into the gym.  I tell you... I MISSED THE GYM.  Badly.  I was so ready to get back in there.  Of course, it was Tuesday so I'm jumping into Metabolic Conditioning, which is one of my hardest workouts of the week.  I'd say I did great.  I was energized and ready to go.  This week's class focused on using your own body weight instead of barbells or other tools.  There was a lot of planking, sit ups, push ups, and so on.  I don't think many of us consider how our own bodies can be used as resistance tool.  Great stuff.
 
Next up was my last Kettlebell class of the quarter.  There were four of us including the instructor and each person picked their four favorite moves, and we did each circuit twice.  I picked some doosies... Snatch, Dead Lift, Clean to Overhead Press, and Double Bell Thrusters.  Wow!  That was one of the hardest classes we've had, and I loved every minute of it.  I'm hoping to take Kettlebells again in January so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So I worked out hard, and it's time to weigh in on Saturday.  Didn't know what to expect.  I ended up losing a pound over two weeks.  Hmmm.... I'm wondering about my 30 by the Dec. 31st goal I set back in October.  Will I meet it?  Did I open a can of worms by giving myself a deadline to lose weight?

Well, there are many differing opinions on this topic of goal setting by a specific date or for a specific occasion.  Many feel that it's not a good idea because if you don't meet your goal, it is very discouraging.  A person may feel like a failure for not accomplishing their goal by their due date and give up completely.  I've even done this myself.  When I was on the low carb diet, I bought a size 14 Ralph Lauren white eyelet skirt that was sitting in my closet as my "skinny goal skirt."  Well, I never got wear it.  I think the closest I got was a size 18 at that time.  When I gained all the weight back, I just threw the skirt in a box and forgot about it.  That skirt was a sign of my failure and I wanted to get as far away from it as possible.  I remember how optimistic I was when I bought it.  Now, it's just another albatross hanging around my neck along with the 100+ pounds I gained back.
 
Now, I compare myself today to how I was several years ago when I was in Low Carb Hell.  Mentally, I'm in a whole other place.  I came to grips with why I ate the way I did.  I acknowledged that the only reason I was overweight was because I PUT MYSELF THERE.  I took responsibility for my actions, and most importantly, I FORGAVE MYSELF.  Before, I looked to low carb as the solution to make me happy.  Low carbs meant lost weight = I'm happy now.  Not even close.
 
So, going back to the worms.  Am I leading myself to failure if I don't meet my 31st goal?  HELL NO!  Does that mean I'm not going to reward myself with TWO charms if I don't get to my second milestone by the 31st?  NOPE!  Those two charms are hiding somewhere in this house, and when I reach 220 pounds - whether it's next week or next month, I'm going to be looking for them.
 
If there is one thing I can say about goal setting, it's that it must be realistic... FOR YOU.  No one should set your goals.  You set them.  You know what you are capable of doing.  My long term goal is to be 160 pounds and off all my medication... So, does that mean that if I'm at 155 and still taking my diabetes meds, I'm not going to London.... No.  My goals are set for me.  My ultimate goal is to be healthy, and healthy can come in many forms.  My doctor and I will make that decision.  I do know that at 160 is a great starting place, and losing that weight over three years is realistic and achievable.  You mind MUST be in the right place in order for you to be successful.  Forgive yourself.  Heal yourself.  And Move.
And moving has it's rewards.  That skirt is going to have be to taken in when I go to Jamaica in June.  Yes.... that means it fits me TODAY.  And those pretty blue boxes are more incentives for me to sign off and go downstairs and work with Jillian and Zumba.  I did visit Tiffany's in Richmond,VA and purchased a ring and a Zodiac charm.  Happy New Year to me.  Those worms are going to Squirm their ass right back into that can.  That can is closed.

PS - I owe you guys new pictures (another 15 pounds down).  I think I'm going to wait until I hit the next milestone to post them.  You've guys know what I'm looking like anyways. :)
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to