Skip to main content

Six Months In...

Hey readers!  It was one hell of a week let me tell you.  It was challenging, but I muddled through.  I also felt inspired because I knew I was completing my 26th week.  Six months into my new life...  I never thought I'd be where I am right now.  I'm on the cusp of entering the Century Club.  I've lost 87.2 pounds in 6 months.  It's still hard for me to put my mind around that, especially since I was able to do it without any serious restrictions.  I'm still eating carbs. I'm still eating fats. I'm still eating protein. 
If there is one thing that I've learned so far is that a diet that restricts either of those three items won't work for me.  I needed to learn how to eat and make tradeoffs.  I was able to lose this weight eating an occasional cheeseburger and piece of dessert or candy.  I'm much happier for it. 

When I see myself in the mirror, it's still a bit surreal.  I guess because it happened so fast.  I'm several weeks into stage two, and I'm almost down 30 lbs.  Milestone #2 is reaching 220.3 pounds.  I'm already at 257.8.  Before, losing 40 pounds seemed impossible.  Not anymore. 

As a matter of fact, I backed up off my exercise this week.  I weighed myself Wednesday evening to check in, and I found myself down 5 pounds with two more workout days in the week.  This worried me a bit because I was losing too fast.  So, I took a day off on Thursday, which I'm happy to say I enjoyed.  I think I've worked through my guilt issues when I decide to take a day off.  It seems that since I've increase my resistance workouts to three days a week, my weight loss is speeding up.  I'm definitely not losing muscle either because my arms are more defined.

I also changed my workout routine this week by backing off Zumba on Sunday.  I worked the bells so hard on Sunday that my legs were like jelly.  So, I'm going to continue with that.  I'm working Zumba down to only two days a week.  Since my gym is opening up on Monday, I'll still be able to work in a resistance class so I can get three days of weights in.  I'm finding that I enjoy the group classes more than working alone on a piece of equipment.  I really enjoy the interaction with the instructor and the other participants.  That's also why I like Zumba Wii and Jillian's kettlebell workout.  I don't feel like I'm alone.

So...how am I going to celebrate my anniversary?  Well, I worked out on the elliptical this morning, which killed me.  No interval running today due to weather.  I'm just glad I got it done.  Now, I'm just going to relax.  I'm really looking forward to my trip to Pittsburg.  Count down commences tomorrow...4 weeks to go.

Lastly, I'm going to be going out of town this week coming.  I'll be in Tennessee helping a family member move back to Ohio.  It will be interesting to see how I handle being out of my routine for another week.  I think I'll be okay.  I'm going to watch what I eat and make sure I get some exercise in...even if it's a walk.  Last time I was on vacation resulted in my largest weight loss week.  I don't think it will be like that this time, but it does make me feel better about stepping out of my routine and still being able to accomplish my goals.   My weigh-in and blog entry will be delayed.  I'll post next Sunday when I'm back in town.

So...let's here it for a great 6 months.  Let's keep that momentum going.  Thanks to all of you for your comments, support, ass kicks, and everything.  It really does make a difference.  My song choice for this week is a really happy tune since that's how I'm feeling.  The song title is a bit unusual...but very familiar to some of you.  Let's here it for Quincy Jones and a bit of Soul Bossa Nova.

Here's to a great six months! Let's celebrate with some jazz flute!




Comments

  1. I'm in a class with your sister at CSU and she told me to check out your blog. You're truly an inspiration and I hope you never give up until you reach your goal and are happy. I've managed to keep my weight about 215 or so since I was about 15 years old but naturally it's still uncomfortable, as I am only 5'4" and have a small frame. I started consistently working out at the beginning of this summer and feel like I am taking it seriously for the first time in my life. However, I still have a really really hard time not binging. Why does food have to be so comforting?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra, I'm glad you stopped by. It seems that I have a love/hate relationship with food. I wish I could look at it with indifference, but it's been such a huge part of my life that it's always the huge elephant in the room that I can't avoid and I can't ignore. I wish it wasn't so comforting. I think if I look at food more for nourishment and fuel instead of comfort, I'd be more successful.

      I'm glad that you started working out this summer, and I hope it's going well for you. Keep it up. We're all in this together. We'll make it through!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to