Skip to main content

When a Deficit is a Good Thing...

Good day Blog Readers!  Sorry for the delay in posting.  My weekend was crazy busy and productive as well.  I had my bestie's baby shower on Sunday (**waves to bestie**), and I spent Saturday with friends.  We went to see the Hunger Games, and we had lunch at Chipotle.   If you are one of the poor souls who doesn't know what Chipotle (the restaurant...not the pepper) is, you are missing quite the treat especially if you enjoy Mexican food.  I even made sure to split my burrito bowl into two servings so I had leftovers for dinner.  I wasn't able to do that before.  I love Chipotle so much that I would eat the entire burrito bowl and a side of chips in one sitting - which would pretty much make me queasy.  I'm just happy that I'm able to have these types of meals and include them in my lifestyle. 

All in all, my week was all over the place, and it was my fault.  I did something that I told myself I wouldn't do anymore, and it pretty much had me a bit discouraged all week.  When I got discouraged D.T. comes out to play and nags me - which makes everything much harder.  So what did I do...

W.T.F?!?!?!

I weighed myself pretty much every day.  Sometimes the scale would be up...sometimes it would be down...sometimes it would be the same.  When I got to Thursday, and I was still the same weight as last Saturday, I almost lost it!  Why did I do this to myself?  I knew I was doing well because I'm using another hole in my belt.  I had great energy, and I even changed up my routine a bit.  GAH!  I shouldn't have done that.  Special thanks to Eliza for talking me down from the ledge and bringing me back to what is most important.

In the end, I did lose weight.  I promise to all of you that I will try not to needlessly weigh myself like that again.  It really doesn't add any value to my week, and it can be a detractor. Besides, the scale should never be my ultimate measuring stick.  I'm trying to get that in my head.  Give me some time.  I'm still working on it.

On a happier note, my first batch of blog cards are just about all gone.  I'm trying to hand them out more.  I need to make sure I start carrying some on my at all times.  That way if someone stops me and asks what I've been up to, I can hand them one.  If you're a new follower, welcome.  Please feel free to add comments.  I love to read them, and I hope to make new friends through this endeavor.

Someone recently asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I told them that I wasn't doing anything special.  I am just creating a calorie deficit.  Some people don't quite know what a calorie deficit is or how it works, so I'm including a link that provides a lot of detail.  Pretty much, it's losing weight the old fashioned way.  No gimmicks.  No diets.  No special supplements.  No restrictions. 

This deficit is not so bad...
The scale pretty much sums it all up.  A calorie deficit means calories in (food and beverages) is less than calories out (body functions and physical activity).  3,500 calories equals one pound, so if you want to lose one pound a week, you need to expend 3,500 more calories than you take in.  That equals out to a 500 calorie deficit each day.  If you want to lose two pounds a week, expend 7,000 calories more.  I know that it seems like a lot, but it real isn't if you plan accordingly. 

I plan my meals out each day, and I record everything I eat in the livestrong app on my iPhone.  Also, there are many tools out that that will calculate your basal metabolic rate - which is how many calories you burn at rest.  This number is important because it will help determine how many calories you need in a day.  PLEASE...and I can't stress this enough....please be careful when deciding how many calories you need.  Seek advice from a medical professional if you are not sure what you need.

So...if I want Chipotle, I plan ahead and make sure the calories are in the bank.  I measure out my portions and include lots of vegetables and fruit since they add bulk but not calories.  And of course I drink plenty of water and I MOVE MY ASS!  I really think that working out seven days a week makes a huge difference.  

It's not rocket science...but it can be daunting and tricky.  This way may not work for everyone, but it is working for me.  I love the fact that I don't have limitations.  If I want cake, I eat cake.  If I want a piece of candy, I eat a piece of candy...I just make allowances for it, make sure the portion size is appropriate, and sweat it out until my fat cries.  Do I do??  Damn right I do!  On to week #9!!

P.S - I met my walk-run goal a week early.  I got in 3 miles in an hour last Friday, and I did it again today.  I'm up to 3 mph walk and 3.7 mph run!

P.P.S - I will be participating in the Walk for Diabetes on Oct. 6th this year.  More details to follow.  If you want to join my team and walk with me, click here!  The more, the merrier!

Comments

  1. A visit to the scale every day is always a bad idea!!!! I'm so happy that you had a good surprise at the end of the week. So proud of the continued hard work you are putting in day after day bestie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I've learned my lesson. Thanks for your comment and support. I love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

33.33333333333% Never Looked So Good!

Good Saturday Blog Readers!  It's a beautiful morning in Northeastern Ohio...just in case you didn't know what I was located.  We've had a relatively mild winter - which has been lovely let me tell you.  I am hoping that Spring is right around the corner, and considering that we will have temps in the lower 60's this week, maybe we've turned the corner.  That would be great because better weather means more opportunities for outside activities. I've had an awesome week folks.  D.T. wasn't dogging my step this week.  He was amazingly absent.  Perhaps he took a long deserved vacation because he was working overtime last week.  I hope he enjoys his vaca and stays even longer.  The longer he languishes out of my sight, the better. I felt completely different this week as well.  I had amazing energy.  I pushed myself to exercise a little bit harder everyday.  I'm hoping to work my body harder each day so muscle memory won't develop.  Muscle memory bri

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to