Skip to main content

Gratitude

Greetings! I hope you had a decent Monday. This week was quite interesting and a lot happened. So, strap in because I hope you won't mind a longer post since I have quite a bit to report.

First off, I had my second post-surgery check in with my Physician's Assistant today. It was a good check up. I got my "report card," which is just a summary of weight loss since I started the program in January. I'm down 61.5 pounds since January 2017. I've lost almost 37% of my excess body weight.

One thing I wasn't expecting was a high blood pressure reading - 132/93. I'm pretty bummed about that, but I hope it's an anomaly because I haven't had a reading that high in a long time. Plus, I hate that the office uses a machine. I also just ran up two flights of stairs so maybe that was the problem. I will see my PCP on Friday, and I'll speak about it with him. I'm more concerned about his reading and evaluation. They don't use a machine at my PCP's office, and he will make the decision to remove me from any medications so we're going to have to wait and see on that one. I hope to have good news next week.

During my visit, I spoke to my PA about an "episode" I had this past Wednesday. If you are easily grossed out, I suggest you skip the next paragraph. I promised to give you the good, bad and ugly, and this was pretty ugly.

*********************************************************************************
Matilda was not feeling good after
eating and laying down.
This past Wednesday I was pretty sleepy and I had just eaten a few Gerber Arrowroot Cookies. So, I decided to go to bed.  About an hour later, I woke up suddenly with stomach acid in my throat so I rushed to the bathroom because I though I had to vomit.  Well, for the next 5 minutes or so, I spit up tons of saliva and dry heaved a few times. There wasn't anything in my stomach, and my throat was burning, and the taste in my mouth was atrocious. It was not pretty! My husband was worried and wanted to take me to the emergency room because I haven't had anything like this happen. Well, all I could do was spit up tons of slimy saliva. Eventually, the burning and awful taste disappeared, and I was able to settle down. I had an awful time sleeping, and I developed a cough - which may be due to the damage to my esosophagous.  I just experienced what people in our community call the "Slimies."
*********************************************************************************
In speaking with my PA, she confirmed my suspicions. I had a bad reflux episode from eating too
I won't do that anymore!
close to laying down. I should not lay down 2-3 after eating. She also mentioned that its possible to develop GERD after surgery, so I'll need to keep an eye out on that. It can be managed with medication, but I really don't want to be placed on another pill since I'm trying to get rid off all them - except my vitamins. So, lesson learned. No eating after 7 pm for me!

I recently attended a presentation on the beauty of Gratitude and how being grateful and expressing gratitude can be so powerful and healing. Although I had an unpleasant experience this week, I'm still so grateful that it happened. Why? I learned something new and will incorporate the learnings so I can avoid it in the future. I was also ill, and I didn't keel over. I handled it like a champ. I was quite proud of myself because I was sure I was going to have a melt down. I just took it easy the next day, and went to the gym on Friday. I'm grateful that I made this decision to better my health and improve my life.

I'm also grateful that I broke my stall this week. Yeah, I lost everything I gained and then some. It was so bizarre. It was instant. The change came so fast, and all of a sudden I'm fitting in my size 18 jeans again. Six sizes in two months - that's some very rapid change! I started my weight lifting program this morning. Three days a week - arms, legs and chest/back. I created a work out journal to record my workouts and my progress/struggles. I will try this for four weeks, and then revisit with my trainer to switch things up.

I have pictures up on a new page called "Sleeve Progression" if you want to take a peek at my progress.  Entering week nine - officially two months post op. Hold on tight, who knows what I'll be reporting next week!

HW: 360 pounds 
SW: 278
CW: 250
GW: Gratitude!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to