Skip to main content

Expectations

Hello my lovely Readers! Week 10 is here, and I'm feeling a bit conflicted. It's so easy for me help others who may have questions or are curious about my experiences, and I try to encourage them as much as I can.  So...why is it so hard for me to follow my own advice?

Matilda and I drown our
sorrows in H2O!
When I last left you, I was disheartened by a high blood pressure reading at my two month post-op appointment. Wishful thinking I hoped it was due to me running up two flights of stairs to get to the office, but when I went to my Primary Doc appointment on Friday, it was not the case. My blood pressure is high. The one medication I'm taking isn't enough, and my PCP (Primary Care Physician) placed me back on my second blood pressure med that I hadn't taken since my pre-op liquid diet.

I just knew that when I went to my PCP, he was going to take me off of my blood pressure and high cholesterol medication - I mean after all, he already took me off my diabetes meds, right? I was not prepared to leave the office with a new script.

He could tell I was disappointed, but he gave me very encouraging words. Usually, a 60 pound weight loss will reduce blood pressure, but in my case, it didn't. He was quite positive in saying that he wasn't worried because my blood pressure was under control before surgery, and we'll get it back. Plus, he gave my 1/4 of my prior dosage, so that's a positive. I'll check back with him in 6 weeks to make sure all is well, and I'll use my home monitor to check it regularly.

Matilda's idea for a
Halloween Costume.
#notfunny
And although he gave me such encouragement, I was still bummed. I got surgery to get rid of my medication, not to add more. I couldn't help but feeling like I got a "D" in school.

It's so easy to focus on the negativity, and but it's so important to focus on positive items, because other than that unexpected outcome, the week was amazing! I love Planet Fitness! I love lifting weights. I love how much stronger I feel. I killed my Zumba routines this week, and I've achieved my step goal for over 8 days now. I got a streak going.

Can't stop... Won't stop!
How can I let a small setback outshine everything that I accomplished this week? I can't. I can do this. I did walking lunges with 10, 15 and 20 pound weights IN EACH HAND! I bench pressed, squatted, overhead pressed, shoulder raised, bicep curled and so on. I jumped and hopped with no knee pain. I ran for 2 minutes straight today at 4 mph! I haven't done that in years.

I did all of this, so my blood pressure won't win. I need to realize that my weight loss will be a journey. It's not a sprint. I'm not going to get rid of my medications instantly. The weight isn't going to fall off in 2 months. I need to follow my own advice and adjust my expectations.

HW: 360 (circa 2006)
SW: 278
CW: 246
GW: No Blood Pressure Meds?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

33.33333333333% Never Looked So Good!

Good Saturday Blog Readers!  It's a beautiful morning in Northeastern Ohio...just in case you didn't know what I was located.  We've had a relatively mild winter - which has been lovely let me tell you.  I am hoping that Spring is right around the corner, and considering that we will have temps in the lower 60's this week, maybe we've turned the corner.  That would be great because better weather means more opportunities for outside activities. I've had an awesome week folks.  D.T. wasn't dogging my step this week.  He was amazingly absent.  Perhaps he took a long deserved vacation because he was working overtime last week.  I hope he enjoys his vaca and stays even longer.  The longer he languishes out of my sight, the better. I felt completely different this week as well.  I had amazing energy.  I pushed myself to exercise a little bit harder everyday.  I'm hoping to work my body harder each day so muscle memory won't develop.  Muscle memory bri

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to