Skip to main content

So Now What?

Hey everyone!  I hope you all had a happy safe New Year.  I had a great time enjoying some great food.  I didn't feel guilty either.  I realize that I've come a long way from almost a year ago where I was sometimes afraid to eat anything that may have a larger calorie content.  I was concerned that anything that feel in that category would send me spiraling back to gaining weight, being unhealthy, and living a miserable life.  Now, I fully understand that food can be enjoyable, but when it's all said and done, food is fuel.  And that fuel must be used.  Check out my dress!  It was pretty cool dressing up and going out.  I hope I have more opportunities for dressing up in the future.

Now that 2013 is here, I've been quite pensive.  I have lots on my mind.  I also know that my official one year anniversary is only two weeks away, and that is weighting on me too - but not in a negative way.  Just being thoughtful about how far I've come, and what I still have yet to do.
 
The truth of the matter is that these last 60 will take me the entire year if not longer to remove.  As I become smaller, the weight gets harder to lose.  I wasn't expecting the rapid weight loss I experienced this year, but as you know, the weight has started to come off slower in the last three to four months, and honestly, that may be a blessing.  It's giving my body... and my psyche... time to adjust to this change.  It's hard reconciling that the lady in the mirror is me sometimes.  I hope no one things I'm vain because sometimesI really do just stare at myself sometimes.  It's still miraculous to me.

So, now what?  What will I do knowing these last 60 pounds will probably be really stubborn?  I going to change up my routine.  I have a 10K coming up in May so I'm going to take some personal training lessons starting in February.  I hope to continue with the Kettlebells at work and at home.  I hope to focus on strength training to gain endurance.  I have to keep it fresh and keep my body guessing.  That's how I keep my metabolism running at full speed.

Something else happened this week as well.  I had a very interesting conversation with my parents on New Year's Day.  I was dressed and ready to work out so I was just shooting the breeze with my folks.  My dad was talking about my success so far, and my mom said to me, "I understand the huge changes you've gone through to get where you are.  But, have you considered how your weight struggled affected me and your dad?"  I looked at her kind of confused.  I didn't know what she meant by that.  This was my journey (which was quite a selfish thought now that I think about it).   How did my being large impact her?

They both stated several things to me that was enlightening and horrifying at the same time... my weight struggle for the parent's point of view.
  • Watching your daughter struggle with her weight all her life and wondering what did I do to cause her to be this way.
  • Knowing that they couldn't have done anything to cause any trauma yet the had not idea how to help me.
  • Watching me lose weight and then gain it back quickly - know that I had to be getting food somewhere since the meals served at home weren't unhealthy.
  • Knowing that I'm binging right in front of their nose and not knowing what to do.
  • Considering staging an intervention to get help and knowing that I would be resentful for it.
  • Lastly, knowing that at some point in my life, they will be my caretakers because I will be too unhealthy to move. 
  • Coming to grips with the fact that their youngest child may die before they do.
Wow!  I always thought about what my weight did to me.  I never considered what it did to my loved ones.  I also realize that with any addiction, it was completely selfish.  I was completely selfish.  I could have cared less what my eating was doing to others.  I thought I was so smooth sneaking food into the house and eating where no one could see... But HELLO!  You don't gain 100+ pounds back by eating air.

I apologized to them.  I really felt wretched.  It was also another healing moment for me and my family.  My parents are very happy and proud.  They are smiling because I'm smiling.  It's just makes me realize I'll never go back.  I can't.   It's not just about me anymore. 

So, that was quite a lesson I learned.  I'm glad it happened.  It's amazing the perspective you gain when you actually LISTEN instead of talking. 

Special Note: Not quite sure how to work in my song for this week.  So, just check out Carry Out.  It's FIERCE!

Also, I posted my own personal thoughts on the Biggest Loser reality show.  Take a gander if you wish. 

Lastly, my post next week will be delayed due to a weekend getaway. I'll fill you in when I return next Monday or Tuesday.


Comments

  1. Who would have thought? Right? Your strength and courage is encouraging to me. We never really know how our actions or lack thereof impact others. But know that this journey you have been on is yours and you needed this in order to be who you are. And for that I wouldn't change it for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee! I'm glad that I'm able to encourage and inspire others. That's what I'm here to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Well, another week down.  It was somethin' else.  Things seemed to be moving along great.  Last week I was firing on all cylinders.  It was the last week that my gym would be closed for renovations, so I was looking forward to getting back to my regular schedule.  Kettlebells and I were getting along great.  I remember wondering where D.T. was.  He hadn't showed up for quite some time.  I felt a bit smug.  Perhaps, I had him beat.  Yeah...right. D.T. and his damn cousin Murphy came back for a visit.  They showed up every single day.  Little BASTARDS! On Monday, D.T. tried to convince me to step off the elliptical after 45 minutes.  I was so tired, so why don't I just check out early.  And, I thought about it too.  I mean 45 minutes is a substantial workout, right?  What's another 15 minutes?  I decided to stay on and back off on my intensity.  I was able to finish my hour and cool down.  So, at least I had him beat that day. Tuesday was just fucked.  All the way ar