Skip to main content

Cheaters Never Prosper

Hey bloggers!  Another week has come and gone.  It seems that time is just flying by.   I can't believe that it's almost been a year since I started my new life.  I've had some hiccups - ups and downs.  I'm just happy that I made the conscious decision to stick with this and not deviate.  It used to be easy to give up and say, "I don't want to do this anymore."  But, I'm not that person anymore.  I don't want to be obese and unhealthy.  I'm living a full, active life, accomplishing goals, and doing things I though I never could, and I'm much happier for it.

This week was...interesting to say the least.  I decided to do something this week that I haven't done in a very long time.  I didn't know what would happen, but what the hell, right?  You only live once.  So, what did I do?  I CHEATED.

Cheated?  What do you mean you cheated?  Well, I don't really like the word "cheat."  Cheating signifies that I did something wrong and dishonest.  I didn't fake a hole-in-one in mini golf.  I didn't count cards playing blackjack.  I didn't stack my UNO cards.  I supposedly cheated in my "diet."  I ate a few items that I usually tend to stay away from - considering that I have been counting calories and eating in moderation.  However, this week I did quite a bit of eating...that some would say was cheating.

Well, let me tell you. I did not cheat because I'm not on a "diet."  I'm not low carb, or no fat, or South Beach, or Atkins, or any of those other popular ones.  I'm eating what I want...as long as it is within my calorie goal for the day.  I consider my calorie goal like a checkbook that I must withdrawal to zero every day.  As long as I have the calories in the bank, I can eat it.  I make good, healthy choices and consider where I'm going and what I may eat.  If I want something that may cause a larger withdrawal from the bank, I make allowances so I won't go overdraw.

Right now, my calorie limit is 1,200.  It will never go below 1,200 because my body will not function properly on such low fuel.  As a matter of fact, depending on how the next few weeks go, I may need to increase that number. In order for optimal metabolic burn, you MUST eat.  Depriving yourself of food just slows your metabolism and weight lost comes to a halt.

It's a very tricky equation.  But, exercising is the key.  Whatever calories I burn in exercising is a deposit in the calorie bank.  So, if I burn 500 calories in a work out, I can now eat 1,700 calories instead of 1,200.  Don't worry.  My doctor is well aware of what I'm doing, and he placed the 1,200 limit.  So, I will always follow his instruction.

So, what did I eat?  Well, Monday was the Cavs first preseason game (we won!).  I ate at Quaker Steak and Lube.  I had 1/2 a chicken wrap, 2 hot wings, and some cheese fries.  I did not eat all the fries.  Not a big fan of the cheese sauce.  I did devour a carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting.  YUM!  Tuesday I had a homemade cheeseburger.  No fries.  That wasn't too bad.  Wednesday, I ate an entire Panera Cinnamon roll.  YIKES!  I usually split those in half, but I don't know what came over me.

To be honest, I'm lucky I didn't gain this week.  I actually lost enough to post new pictures.  I don't know if I'll ever have another one of those weeks again.  I take 'em one at a time.  However,  I do know that when I go back to the Quicken Loans Arena for another game, I will have another cupcake.  It does have carrots in it.  That's not cheating. :)  And, it was Bad




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to