Skip to main content

Finding Nature's Sweetness

Hey everyone!  I'm back for another installment of My Adventures in Transferring to Paleo Eating.  I certainly have new observations to share.  It's kind of fun using myself as a "test subject."

So, how Paleo am I at this point?  I'll say I'm not all the way there yet, and I don't know if I ever will be 100% Paleo.  There is a lot of discussion about certain foods some Paleo eaters say are ok, where others say they aren't.  I'm not going to worry too much on the controversy, and I'm going to focus on what foods make me feel the best and render the best performance in the gym.  What I will say is that I'm most focused on getting rid of grains, beans, seed oils, dairy, alcohol, and sugar. 

I had a really good week.  Food preparation on the weekends takes a lot of time, energy and patience, but it really worked out well, and as the week continued I found that I stopped eating in between meals and ate three meals.  At times, I even found it hard to eat my lunch.  I was surprised at how quickly my appetite diminished as I ate nourishing foods, and even more so, how quickly I became full when eating my meals.

I'm still quite baffled by my appetite changes.  As I sit here blogging, drinking water and noshing on a few dark chocolate banana bites (something to definitely get used to), I wonder why my appetite changed so much, and I'm pretty sure I know why.  The Sweet Potato.

I feel like I need to write a poem on the love I have of the sweet potato.  In years past, I never paid much attention to them.  I ate these lovely delights in pies that my mom made or as yams with a delicious sugary glaze.  I never ate them baked, roasted or as french fries. As a matter of fact, the one time I did have sweet potato fries, I really didn't like them (probably because of the coating on them).  Now, all of a sudden, I can't get enough of them, and I eat a baked sweet potato everyday.  Why?  Because I honestly feel it is nature's true superfood.
 
When I did my first Whole 30 last year, I found I had a hard time finding items to eat for breakfast besides eggs.  My trainer suggested I eat a sweet potato for breakfast, which I found odd, but I tried it anyway.  I diced some up and roasted them with some ground meat to make turkey hash.  I also baked a few to eat with some ghee (clarified butter), cinnamon and salt.  What I found is that when I ate a baked sweet potato at breakfast combined with a good protein, I didn't eat.  I didn't eat for a very long time.  It kept me so full for so long that I found myself making myself eat lunch just so I could have some fuel for my afternoon workouts, and my workouts were amazing.  So, why did I stop eating them?  I never should have.  They are pure energy and a natural appetite suppressant.  Why?  Well...
  • Sweet potatoes are highly fibrous.  Fiber takes a very long time to digest, and if you combine that with a good protein, which also takes a long time to digest, your body is going to be working overtime to digest that food and transfer it to the nutrients to kick ass all day long. Long digestion = I'm not hungry
  • Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index, and as a diabetic, that's a bonus for me.  It's a complex carbohydrate so it takes a while to digest, and will not impact blood sugar.  Spikes in blood sugar drive hunger, which is probably why you can feel hungry an hour after eating a pound of pasta. 
I'm sure there are other reasons why sweet potatoes are the bees knee's, but I don't want to bore you to death.  There are many ways to cook them, but I prefer
baking them.  Sure, it can take up to an hour or longer depending on the size, but I could care less. I bake them on the weekends, and keep them in the fridge until I tear into them at breakfast.  Here's why...

Look closely, if you can.  Do you see the clear liquid that's coming out of them?  What is that?  It's natures sweetness! Pure, natural sugar.  When you bake sweet potatoes, you can tell when they are done because your house starts smelling like a candy factory.  The natural sugars bubble out of the potato, and when you let them rest and eat them later, the potato just falls out of the skin.  Add some ghee, cinnamon and salt, and you have the yummiest breakfast treat that will keep you full all morning.  Don't believe me?  I dare you to try it. Eat one with a great protein, and you tell me when you start feeling hungry.  My mom recently did, and she said she didn't get hungry until 2 pm! 

My muscles certainly appreciate them.  I'm still lifting crazy weight and embarrassing people in the gym, which is not my intention, but I am quite flattered by the compliments.  I'm eating to perform. That's why I'm doing this. 

My breakfasts and lunches are prepared for the week.  For lunch this week, I'm trying Avocado Basil Chicken Salad.  It turned out great - very tasty but not really pretty to look at.  I also ate my first paleo snack, dark chocolate covered bananas.  I'm not a chocolate fan so this is a lot for me to handle.  Turns out they are pretty good since the sugar in the banana balances the bitterness of the chocolate, and it's hella bitter (90% cocoa content).  Dark chocolate cocoa level must be 70% or higher for any chocolate desserts.  What's up next? I need to get some raw honey, and maybe I'll make my own Sriracha.  That way I can have spicy mayo!  I'm getting pretty ambitious.  Maybe I'll Get Lucky and find a Paleo jelly belly....  I doubt it! 

Basil Avocado Chicken Salad - all recipes are on my Pinterest Page.

I used 90% Lindt Supreme Dark for these banana bites. They store in the freezer. 
 
One of my favorite meals - Cracklin' Chicken Thighs and Garlic Mashed Cauliflower. I swear I'm eating mashed potatoes, and I'm not! YUM!
 


















 
Last, but not least.  Ghee! It's also called clarified butter. It's very expensive in the store, so I bought my own organic butter, and took a stab at removing the milk solid myself.  Turned out beautiful. Very rich in buttery taste. It's a great, shelf stable cooking oil or adding to sweet potatoes and other yummy things. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to