Skip to main content

The Mirror

I know we've all experienced hardships that have truly tested us.  I've wondered what is that catalyst that causes one to make changes, hopefully for the better.  I'd like to think I've experienced a few of those moments of clarity.  Where everything seems so sharp, you can see it right in front of you.  You can touch it.  You want to make those changes, and create a better quality of life. 

So you make that change.  You educate yourself, and make a plan.  You follow that plan to the tee, vary rarely deviate.  You start to see how the positive changes are impacting you.  It's working.  People notice the change.  You're pleased.  You're successful.  And you move forward, working toward you goals.

And then one day it stops.  It all stops.

You don't see the changes anymore.  You work so hard to keep the momentum going, and you continue to go nowhere. You fight so hard, and you hardly see any results.  You tell yourself to keep going, keep pushing.  And you don't see anything. 

The clarity leaves. The sharpness fades.  It disappears.

Suddenly, you start to see changes again, but these changes aren't so positive.  It's little things at first.  Getting winded going up two flights of stairs when it wasn't an issue before.  Your arms feel funny when resting at your sides because your stomach is bigger.  Clothes don't fit right any more.

And then you look in the mirror and see a face that's starting to resemble someone you swore you'd never see again.

That's what my life has been like since May of this year.  It came to a head today.  It was a shitty day.  I can tell you that much.

I'm scared.  I'm so scared.  I don't want to go back to that lonely, sad woman who felt like she didn't have a life.  I can see myself getting back to that, and I'm so scared.  I'm acknowledging habits that will take me back there.  Closet binge eating.  Yes, that right.  $40 worth of Jelly Bellies in ONE WEEK.  All gone.  Three pound bags of Hot Tamales eaten over two to three days.  Yes, that right.  So, today I said to myself, "Let's go shopping for some new jeans so you can be more comfortable."  Why?  Because my pants are too tight.

And then I realized what I was doing, and I remember a time when I was gaining weight many years ago after getting off the low carb diet.  I went and bought two new pairs of jeans in larger sizes because my pants weren't fitting anymore.  That was the day that I accepted that I was gaining my weight back, and it was ok.

And it's not ok. It's NOT. It's completely unacceptable.

I knew what was happening.  I saw it in the mirror everyday.  I saw it in my clothes that didn't fit like they used to.  I was stressing today because it was the last day of my kettlebell class in our fall session, and we had our assessment.  I was scared.  I  knew I was going to do badly. I was afraid of what it would be like.  I know I haven't been able to keep up in my Zumba classes recently because I've gotten heavier.  Now that assessment is looking me in the face, and I have to try to beat my rep from the beginning of the quarter. 

So I look at my assessment sheet and see all those numbers.  Those reps I needed to beat.  My vision got blurry.  I'm hiding the tears that start streaming down my face as I look at the sheet on the floor.  I start warming up, and I'm trying to breathe and I can't.  Tears start flowing more freely.  After warming up, we start the assessment.  I need to beat 36 kettlebell swings in one minute using a 45# bell.  I do five.  My heart is pounding.  I'm crying.  I can't breathe and I feel like I'm going to vomit.

I leave class.  I've never left kettlebell class.  EVER!  I go into the locker room and cry my eyes out in a shower stall.  I sat there and cried.  I wanted to go back and finish, and I couldn't.  I was so scared. 
I couldn't do it.  So I left.

I think about those jeans.  If I had bought those jeans, it meant that I was done.  And I'm not done.  I have so much more to do. Why am I closet binge eating?  Hell if I know!  I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. That's what makes this so difficult.  These is nothing that drove me to this point.  It's just me.

I have an eating disorder.  I will ALWAYS have a eating disorder.  It will never go away, but it can be managed.  I've become complacent, and when that happens, poor habits creep back in.  I have no excuse for what I've been doing, and that's what hurts so much.  I'm so disappointed in myself.  I feel like I've accomplished absolutely nothing this year, and it's terribly unsettling.  Believe me, I'm not looking for pity or condolences or back pats. I've always been 100% honest with you, and I will continue to be that way.  First step is admitting what I've done.  Second step is doing something about it.

So what am I going to do?  I'm going to put it behind me and move forward. I'm going to start blogging again and recording my food intake.  I'm going to make myself accountable again.  It's a huge risk, but this entire journey is a risk.  I must remain accountable. 

I want to send a special thanks out to M.C, my boo, my mom and my sis.  I needed your words of encouragement, reality and yes, even anger and frustration. Duly noted.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some