Skip to main content

Reboot? Restart? Rewind?


It feels good to let my finger do the talking once again.  Hey readers.  I sure did take a leave of absence, didn't I?  I also feel I lost myself in the process.  After my mid-week meltdown, I've been doing a lot of self-reflection thinking about where I derailed.  It wasn't any event or circumstance that caused it.  It's really just plain old complacency and laziness, with a dash of arrogance.
 
Complacent. Webster defines complacent as "satisfied with how things are and not wanting to change them."  I'd say that was true.  I remember saying to myself over the last few months, "I'd be happy if I stay just how I am right now."  I don't think I truly believed that, but that was what I was telling myself.
 
Lazy, defined as "disinclined to activity or exertion : not energetic or vigorous."  I'd agree with that.  Sure, I still worked out more days during the week than not, but sometimes I wasn't feeling it so I wasn't as energetic as I could be.  I was lazy or mind and spirit if I think of how many times I should have recorded what I ate or paid attention to what I was eating.  I was so tired of tracking my food, and I really didn't want to discipline myself to continue so I let it go.  Lazy. You bet.
 
Arrogance. "An insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people."  I'd say I was more arrogant in thinking that I was untouchable, and I had this weight thing beat.  It couldn't creep back up on me anymore.  I also remember thinking that as long as I worked out, I could eat anything I wanted.  Calories in = calories out results in keeping a constant weight.  So, if I just exercised, I could eat what I wanted.  45 pounds later I realize it really doesn't work that way.  I don't care what you do, if you eat 4 pounds of straight up sugar in a week, no amount of activity will make that go away.
 
Melt down commenced.  Analyzing done.  Reboot.  Restart. Rewind?
 
No. I'm not looking at it that way.  It's good that it happened.  I can't go back in time for a redo.  I'm not restarting all over again and reboot isn't quite right either.  I'm going to remember what I did to get myself in this position, and move on.
 
I'm going to go back to what worked before.  Counting calories, which helps me keep track of what I'm eating.  However, prepackaged foods are out.  They contain a lot of preservatives, hidden sugars, and salt.  Instead, I'm going to create my own healthy meals from scratch.
 
Activity will remain the same.  Kettlebells are still my favorite so that will continue, as will Zumba.  I'll admit I'm struggling with both right now due to the added weight, but I hope to gain my mobility back soon. 
 
Candy.  Can't do it.  I can't do moderation.  It just doesn't work for me. It's been four days since I've eaten candy, and I'm going to keep counting those days.  Candy is my weakness, straight up, no-holds-bared sugar.  I need to keep it away, and I've told my family, friends, and loved ones to help me with this.  I also realize that my idle time is very dangerous.  Idle time is where I binge.  So, I must keep my hands busy.  After dinner, I must keep myself occupied.  Prayer and reflection.  Cross-stitching.  Watching TV with family.  Anything to keep me occupied and my hands busy.  Hot beverages also help so I'm going to use that as well.  Idle hands are a candy playground, so these hands will be busy.
 
Lastly, new goals.  When I first started, I figured 160 pounds was my perfect weight.  I'm not so sure anymore.  At this point, I just want to be healthy, strong, and under 200 pounds by the end of the year.  So, my goals for 2014 will reflect this.  Here they are in no particular order.
  1. There WILL be a number "1" leading my weight at the end of 2014. 
  2. Deadlift 300 pounds.
  3. Perform 10 switch snatches continuously with a 50 pound kettlebell.
  4. Run a 5K without stopping and under 40 minutes.
  5. Perform one pull up.
I'm confident that I can complete 4 out of 5 of these fitness achievements.  That pull up will be the most challenging, but I'm still going to attempt them.  As I complete each one, I will share them with you.  Plus, I'm definitely looking for another Tiffany charm.  I certainly haven't forgotten about those little tokens of goodness!
 
I also challenge all of you to think of some fitness goals you'd like to accomplish by the end of 2014.  No, I'm not talking resolutions. I'm talking goal-setting.  Be realistic and challenge yourself.  Take yourself out of your comfort zone.  Share them with others.  All of you have been such a tremendous source of support for me, and I want to return the favor. 
 
We can make 2014 the best year ever for all of us.  The Dog Days are Over.  Keep Calm.  Move On!
 
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

A Diet By Any Other Name...

Folks, you better hold on tight.  It's about to get a bit bumpy.  It's time for my first rant, and it's a doozy.  I went to my physician today.  I needed to get a form signed so I could join the fitness center at my work location.  I also wanted to discuss my medications since I was having trouble with one of them, and I didn't want it replaced with another.  I wanted to work on my diabetes with the meds I already take and include better food choices and exercise. So, I explained why I was there, and that I didn't want to take any more meds.  I wanted to get off the meds.  Doc was on-board as long as my blood work didn't show any dire situations.  So far so good. I then asked Doc if it was possible that I could get off all my meds by losing weight, and Doc said absolutely.  Again...good news. So, Doc started checking my over.  Getting my vitals and such asking how I'm planning on losing weight.  I stated that I had been on a low-carb diet before (no