Skip to main content

Just What I Need

Hey Readers!  I went AWOL!  I didn't post my weight and blog entry during Halloween week.  To be honest, that week was bloody awful.  I don't know if it was Halloween or if I was just feeling rebellious.  I was pretty following a see-food diet, I saw food... and I ate it.

The only good thing about the week of Halloween is that I didn't stop exercising.  Not one day.  But, I really wasn't feeling it.  I didn't put my full effort into it.  I felt like I was just going through the motions, even during my kettlebell class.  I felt completely off my game.

And, what happened when I weighed myself last Saturday?  Well, I really couldn't weigh myself that day.  I ended up waking up at 5 am to do a Jillian DVD before heading to Mentor, OH to attend President Obama's campaign rally.  That was amazing (I posted a pic or two on the photo album page).  After that, I attended a Twilight party at my friend's house... and yes, I really did enjoy myself.

When I weighed myself on Sunday and I saw a three pound weight gain.  I really wasn't surprised.   To be honest, I've been feeling bored and dispondent.  Not because of what I've accomplished, but because I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back.  Just when I felt I got my appetite and cravings under control, my appetite went through the roof.  I was hungry often.  I wanted to eat everything.  I wanted pizza, french fries, hamburgers, cake and candy.  I felt like the "Old Me" was creeping back in and trying to take over.  And, I admit I fell into some old habits.  I ate candy... more than one serving of candy.  I had cupcakes and pizza and waffles with REAL SYRUP. 

Sunday was reality check time.  I thought back to my week, and what I ate and didn't record.  I also remembered that I didn't feel all that great after eating that food.  I used to get such great enjoyment from food.  It was my crutch and my therapist.  My boyfriend and my confidant.  Now... it's just FOOD, and I felt a little sick about my behavior. 

So, instead of wallowing in a downward shame spiral, I wrote last week off as what it was, a temporary setback.  I jumped in Jillian and Zumba on Sunday, and I hit my workouts this week with more vigour.  It also helped that my metabolic class completely kicked my ass.  Kettlebells were amazing.  I jumped and shook in Zumba, and I really worked hard at home.

So, when Saturday came and I found that I lost all the weight that I gained (and a tiny bit more), it was time for personal reflection.  Was Halloween week really worth it?  Was all that food worth it?  What did I get out of it?   You know, I think maybe I needed to go through that crazy week.  Maybe it was time for me to revisit how I used to be, and remember how I used to feel. I look at myself in the mirror and it's such a drastic change from where I used to be.  It's shocking and wonderful... and scary too.  I don't want to go back to how I used to be. I love who I am now. I'm happier and healthier.  So, I fell off the wagon.  You know, as long as I learned from that experience and moved on, Ain't Nothing Wrong With That.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to