Skip to main content

Doing Better All By Myself

Good afternoon everyone.  I hope you are having a nice weekend so far.  Mine has been spectacular.  It's just been a fantastic week all the way around.  After the "Great Halloween Debacle," it felt good to get back on track.  This week was pretty much smooth sailing.  I attended all of my regular fitness classes.  I feel myself getting stronger each week.  I'm able to do a few full body push ups now.  My planking is just incredible.  I'm pleased with my progress this week, and of course, it paid off with a nice loss.  I am still on track to hit 220.2 by 12/31.  If I can keep pace with a two pound loss over the next six weeks, I'll reach it.  Now, more than ever, it's important to maintain focus...especially considering what's approaching this week.
 
Yep... it's Thanksgiving week, and to be honest, I'm not dreading it like I thought I would.  We're going the non-traditional route this year.  Wednesday will be a turkey dinner.  Thursday will be a fish fry at my cousin's house.  I plan on working out every single day this week including Thanksgiving day.  Unfortunately, I'm losing a day at the gym and our kettlebell class was not scheduled for this week.  No worries there since I just did an awesome kettlebell workout today all by myself.  I followed the same format as we do in class. 50 second intervals.  10 second rest.  I did this for 30 minutes or so.  I also included some ab work as well.  I finished up with Zumba Core on the Wii.  I got a great sweat, and proved to myself that I can do my own kettlebell class by myself.  I'll follow this same route on Thanksgiving.  It will give me some breathing room for dessert.
 
I really do feel the "Great Halloween Debacle" did something for me.  It's making me not as anxious to treat myself every now and then.  Before, I would worry about what my treats would do to my weight loss.  Would it derail me?  Not at all.  I've been eating sweets here and there.  I had a piece of cake with dinner last night. I tell you, exercising everyday really does pay off.  Make it a habit.  Once it's ingrained in your routine, it's hard to get off track.
 
And if I compare how I'm doing now to how I did on that low carb diet, I'm doing much better.  I may be able to get to 120 pounds lost by the end of 2012, and that's not even my one year anniversary.  I'm knocking on the door of heading into uncharted territory.  My lowest adult weight was 229.  I'm getting very close to that now, and I accomplished that without restricting carbs or driving myself insane.  Yes, folks, it can be done.  Carbs are not the enemy.  Each time I get on that scale and see another pound down, I feel like I'm giving the middle finger to all those doubter and nay-sayers who said it can't be done without some type of restriction to carbs.  Don't get Caught Up in all that "low carb is the enemy" nonsense.  It's all hype.  And it doesn't work.  I'm living proof.  I'm doing better all by myself.
 
P.S. - Blogger was acting weird last week and would let me post any pictures.  I added them this week so check out the Photo Album page for some updates.  Scroll to the bottom for the new additions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

33.33333333333% Never Looked So Good!

Good Saturday Blog Readers!  It's a beautiful morning in Northeastern Ohio...just in case you didn't know what I was located.  We've had a relatively mild winter - which has been lovely let me tell you.  I am hoping that Spring is right around the corner, and considering that we will have temps in the lower 60's this week, maybe we've turned the corner.  That would be great because better weather means more opportunities for outside activities. I've had an awesome week folks.  D.T. wasn't dogging my step this week.  He was amazingly absent.  Perhaps he took a long deserved vacation because he was working overtime last week.  I hope he enjoys his vaca and stays even longer.  The longer he languishes out of my sight, the better. I felt completely different this week as well.  I had amazing energy.  I pushed myself to exercise a little bit harder everyday.  I'm hoping to work my body harder each day so muscle memory won't develop.  Muscle memory bri

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to