Skip to main content

Knowledge is Most Certainly Powerful

Happy Saturday Readers!  I started off my Saturday with a very long and vigorous 6.5 mile walk.  I'm working on getting my time down for that 10K next year so I've pledged to walk and eventually walk/run every Saturday on the The Western Reserve Greenway Trail in Ashtabula.  It's a very lovely trail and a peaceful walk.  I never considered myself much of a walker, but if you have the right tunes and scenery, it's an amazing form of exercise.  My mom and niece joined me today so it was nice to have them...and I smoked them both.  That felt pretty good since my niece is 15 and very healthy.  HAHA!

I had a couple of good weeks since I've been back from vacation.  I have tweaked my LiveStrong App and increased my daily calorie intake.  I'm glad I did that because I'm really increasing my exercise intensity, and I will need more energy to make sure I can continue to lose weight and be healthy.  I'm not one to starve myself either since that does no good.  I've increased my caloric intake by 400 calories, and as I continue to lose weight and increase exercise intensity, I'll revisit my calorie intake.  I'm also going to talk with my doctor when I see him in the next two weeks to make sure I'm eating enough.  I want to do the right way so I'm going to keep him and my Nurse Practitioner in the loop.  I also have fasting labs coming up.  With these, I'll get a blood sugar check which I'm pretty excited about.  I hope my A1c has dropped.  I'm sure it has...just curious to how much.

Last weekend, I came across a HBO documentary that I had heard about, but I didn't have a chance to catch it.  It was on repeat during the Memorial Day weekend so I decided to check it out.  And, I must say, it was the most informative few hours of TV that I've watched...ever.  I highly suggest you check out Weight of the Nation.  It really goes in great detail about how obesity is affecting our nation.  Many American are interviewed about how diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart health has impacted their lives.  Many obese people share their stories of how they have gained/loss weight and how being obese has impacted their lives.  I saw myself in so many of these people. I've thought the same things and experienced the same things - both good and bad.

Something else they covered that I didn't think a whole lot about...drinking calories.  One woman stated she drank almost 2,000 calories a day!!  2,000 CALORIES!  I remember when I used to drink...or guzzle...Kool Aid. I used to drink it all the time as a kid and even as a young adult in college.  Soda and juice...are basically the same things with the same amount of sugar.  Wow!  It even went into detail about how the government subsidy program works for soybeans and corn (hence high fructose corn syrup), but there are NO subsidy programs for produce farmers.  It also described how difficult it is to get good, fresh produce to inner city markets...where a large number of obese Americans live.  I don't think many of us know this information so I hope you do take a look at what obesity is doing to our country and our children.  Let's make a pledge to do something about it...no matter how small it is.  I remember one woman who was interviewed that lost weight and keep it off.  She said, I'm just a woman who has done a number of small little things that have added up to something extraordinary.  I hope we all aspire to do small things that add up to extraordinary results.  Then, we'll all be Right As Rain.

Other websites that you may want to check out.  The more you know...and all that jazz.
My heart is happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to