Skip to main content

Goaldigger

Hello everyone! I can't believe another week has passed so quickly. Thanksgiving is behind us and we're now into the holiday season. Lots of parties, events and gatherings, which also means more food. Food is everywhere. I'm even guilty of it because my hubby and I will be making cookie tins this weekend. Will I be able to stay away? Probably not. I'm sure I'll indulge in one oatmeal raisin walnut cookie. Matilda always makes sure to halt me at one, but I always think of the day when one won't be enough. It worries me.

After the epic Thanksgiving that resulted in hello-crazy weight loss - my largest weight loss week to date - I've been feeling differently. As a weight loss surgery patient, in the back of my mind there is this thought that maybe I'd never be small. I guess it's hard to shake those body image issues that tend to stick no matter how much I've lost. But this week, I've been thinking that I will be that smaller person. It's totally possible. I see it now. I feel it. I see changes like my knee. I have a knee, and I can see it. I can cross my legs, and that always baffled me because I couldn't understand why a person would want to sit like that. Now, I see why because it's quite comfortable. I can work with my laptop sitting on my lap - hence why it's named a laptop and not a bellytop. I've hit size 16's, and my sneakers are getting too big! That's right. My feet are getting smaller!

So, I figured if I'm feeling so great, maybe it's time to test my limits. My workouts have been going great. Actually, a little too good - which means it's time to change it up. I already had my goal of running a mile by 12/31 (and I'll get to that later), but I also wanted to challenge myself to do some high intensity Zumba. I've been doing Zumba for a very long time. I use my Wii and I also go to live classes.  The Wii is awesome, and I enjoy it very much, but there is nothing like a live class. No matter how many live classes I've attended, there is one instructor who I feel has the best class, and I went to visit her studio this past Saturday all the way in Cleveland, OH. (I live in Erie, PA).

She's amazing, and her routines are high intensity and high impact. She's an amazing instructor, which makes for an amazing class. When I arrived, I received the best sweaty hug (as she was finishing a class), and I was ready for the next one. Although she wasn't teaching, another amazing instructor was there, and I was ready!

I couldn't believe what I was able to do. I was jumping, hoping, moving and shaking. Burpee pushups in a Zumba routine?? Yes, I did that. Quick foot movements and all, and I was laughing. I was overjoyed. I was so ready for anything she gave me. Dripping in sweat and exhilarated, I knew that I would be ready to get my own Zumba Instructor certification when I'm at goal. Yes, that will be done. I can't wait until I can teach others. Working out is fun when you find what you love.

Challenge met!

On Sunday, I was still flying high on my way to Planet Fitness so I figured I'd give myself another challenge. I wondered if I could accomplish my year-end goal. I got on the treadmill and did a 5 minute warm-up walk, and preceded to smash my goal by running for 25 minutes straight at 4 mph, and completed 1.5 miles without stopping. Sure, that's slow as shit, but I don't give a HOOT! I weight 313 pound at the beginning of the year, and I just ran for 25 minutes without stopping!!!

Completely blow away and overjoyed with my progress right now. I know the scale sometimes dictates how one may feel about how well they are going, but right now, the things I can do now versus a month ago - a year ago ... there is no comparison. I feel so amazing. I feel that I can do anything, and since I've already met my year end goal every early, I'm going to focus on my goals for the next year.
  • Steadily increase my run by 5 minute increments each week. My plan is to increase my endurance and keep my heart rate strong and steady. I eventually plan to run a few 10K's in 2019 at a good pace (5 mph).
  • Get my Zumba certification in 2017.
  • Be free of all medications for blood pressure and high cholesterol.
  • Reach my goal weight in 2017 - and I'm still not sure what that is or what that means. 
What are your goals for 2017? Not resolutions.... Goals. What do you want to accomplish? Please feel free to share, and it doesn't have to be health/fitness related. Get those goals. Set them. Review them. Make them realistic and attainable. We got this.

Weight Loss Update
HW: 360
SW: 278
CW: 216.8
GW: 160-170

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

33.33333333333% Never Looked So Good!

Good Saturday Blog Readers!  It's a beautiful morning in Northeastern Ohio...just in case you didn't know what I was located.  We've had a relatively mild winter - which has been lovely let me tell you.  I am hoping that Spring is right around the corner, and considering that we will have temps in the lower 60's this week, maybe we've turned the corner.  That would be great because better weather means more opportunities for outside activities. I've had an awesome week folks.  D.T. wasn't dogging my step this week.  He was amazingly absent.  Perhaps he took a long deserved vacation because he was working overtime last week.  I hope he enjoys his vaca and stays even longer.  The longer he languishes out of my sight, the better. I felt completely different this week as well.  I had amazing energy.  I pushed myself to exercise a little bit harder everyday.  I'm hoping to work my body harder each day so muscle memory won't develop.  Muscle memory bri

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to