Skip to main content

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Hey everyone! I know it's been a few weeks since I updated. During that time, I hit my three post-op milestone. I didn't have any doctor appointments or anything, but I have been trying different foods and textures. Some agree with me... and some don't. Matilda is still in control and she still runs the slow. I still feel restriction, and I'm eating a constant 800-1000 calories a day and eating four small meals. It seems to be working well. My appetite isn't out of control - even with my workout schedule, and I eat about every 3 hours or so.

Hi Matilda!
I have my surgery date
and tummy name on the back.
Speaking of Matilda, my tummy arrived about a week ago. My tummy pillow is a nice reminder of my surgery. She's cute and squishy. I also can toss her around if her namesake is acting up a bit. If any of your are curious as to where she came from, let me know, and I'll give you the deets. The dark blue portion of the pillow is pretty true. My stomach is shaped in that manner. The light blue part was cut away and discarded...never to be heard from again.

So, what have I been up to lately? Well, I've been working quite a bit which is why I haven't updated the blog lately. Work seems to be calming down so I can give you all an update. The last two-three weeks have been great. I've been trying some new foods. I've tried tempura shrimp and veggies, calamari and even made some protein pancakes. Matilda enjoyed all of them, but she's not too keen on the leftovers. I try to warm up as much food as possible in the oven instead of the microwave
Oy, Matilda! Calm down!
because Matilda doesn't care for dry foods. This time, I think it may have been too much oil. Matilda was pretty unhappy, and I took some anti-nausea medicine to help. I felt better in about an hour.

My workouts continue to improve. My first five weeks of my weight lifting program passed, and I can definitely see the results. I met with the gym trainer this past Friday to review my progress, and we agreed with some additional exercises for the next five weeks - including core work and an extra weight day. So, now I'll be doing weights 4 days a week - arms, chest, legs, and back. I'll include some core work 2-3 times a week, and continue with my cardio 6 days a week.

Yes! That does mean I will be weight training 4 days a week, and cardio 6 days a week. It does seem like a lot, but I really do feel great. I need to make sure I rest one day during the week to give my body some down time. I'm fitting into more of my clothes and wear the majority of my closet right now. I'm even fitting into shoes I couldn't wear a few months ago.

The trend line is the truth!
There is still an elephant in the room - the STALL. I've stalled again. I've been holding steady at 235 going on three weeks. My last stall was pretty discouraging, but this one isn't. Of course, I'd love to see the scale move, but I'm seeing so much more progress with my fitness improving that the scale is become less important. I'm no longer stepping on the scale everyday, but I am flexing my muscles in the mirror.

When I reviewed my weight loss graph on FitBit today, it really does reflect the true nature of weight loss. The trend will be a downward slope with periods of flat lines -- the plateaus. I'm just in my second, but I know I will have many more. It's so important to keep going. Don't get discouraged. Change up your routine - change your food choices. But, do not stop your forward momentum. I didn't gain the weight in 6 months, so don't expect to lose all the weight in 6 months.
Nope. Not today.

The surgery really is a tool. I have to set my goals and keep going. Today, it was extremely hard to get out of bed and get to the gym, but I got there. I was late...but I got there.

As the weather gets cooler and the snow starts to fall, it's going to get more challenging to get my workouts in, but I have goals. I am focused. Don't let outside factors distract you from your finish line. It's not a timed race, so take your time. Be nice to yourself. Matilda and I may have our moments, but we're stuck with each other. Permanently. This is our new normal. I plan on embracing it and squeezing the hell out of those lemons.

HW: 360 lbs (circa 2006)
SW: 278
CW: 235
GW: LEMONAIDE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

I'm Full of Bright Ideas!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.  We have lovely weather here in Northeast Ohio, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it.  My mom was sweet enough to accompany me on a 6 mile walk yesterday morning, and it was fantastic.  Usually, when I walk with someone, they have to walk to my slower pace or I'm constantly training to catch up to them.  In this case, my mom was trying to keep up with me.  She said that she hasn't run after me like that since I was a little kid running in the grocery and department stores.  We both laughed at that.  It really made me feel good.  So, why did I decide to walk 6 miles yesterday?  Well, I wanted to see how my body felt and I wanted to do it under two hours...which I did.  I finished in 57 minutes.  I also chose that distance because I was inspired by some of my friends/co-workers.  The  Cleveland Marathon  was a week ago today, and my junior Zen Master ran a half marathon.  I was very anxious to