Skip to main content

I Forgot

Hey everyone! Thanks again for reading the misadventures of Me and Matilda. I'm three weeks post-op today, and I at times I felt so amazing I forgot I had serious surgery three weeks ago, but Matilda let it be known who runs the show. Matilda runs this!

I am very happy that I am still on pureed foods. My favorites are beans, guacamole, hummus and salsa. I've pretty much been switching between these foods and sometimes combining them. My fav combo so far is 2 tablespoons of beans, 1 tablespoon of guac and one tablespoon of salsa. I've yet to get all of it down, but I can do pretty good in 30 minutes.

I also had my three week follow-up appointment with my surgeon's office. My blood work is very good, blood pressure excellent. Incisions are healing good. Next appointment will be in September and they will do a full blood work up to review my vitamin levels.
Matilda's first warning....
Now, about the tug of war between Matilda and I. Things were going great. We were getting along very well. I was feeling great and my energy was up so I decided to do more than I was supposed to... It was more activity that Matilda was ready for so she whispered softly "No!" On Saturday, I had more activity and was enjoying myself. Matilda got a little upset and said a bit more forcefully, "NO!" I still ignored her so on Sunday, she took me out. I was enjoying myself at the Jazz Fest with family and friends sitting peacefully in my chair, when all of a sudden I felt like was going to get sick and faint at the same time. I was hot and flushed. So, my hubby, the dear man he is, hustled me out of the park and back home where I could rest and get comfortable. I was very nauseated, but I never got sick. Matilda was shouting "NO!" and grumbling and huffing and puffing all day Sunday and didn't calm down until around noon today. 
Matilda's last warning!!

I spoke to my Physician Assistant about it today, and she pretty much told me I was doing too much activity, and I needed to rest for the next few days, and she's right. My right side is a bit achy and Matilda is still cussing at me for not paying attending to her message. I'm sorry Matilda. I hear you loud and clear. I'm only allowed to walk until 6 weeks post-op. At that time, I should be able to do more activity - and lift heavy things, which I really love to do and miss terribly.

Now, if any of you out there are considering weight loss surgery, there are many options out there. Luckily, my husband had a friend who has the gastric sleeve and was able to outline exactly what I could expect if I decided to get the procedure. I appreciate the guidance T.D. 

Once I made the decision to pursue surgery, I contacted my local hospital which has a bariatric program. I made an appointment to attend the informational, and that was my first step. Once I reviewed my insurance to make sure the surgery was covered along with the surgeon and hospital, I was good do go, but it doesn't happen overnight. Some insurance companies require 3-6 months of dietary documentation and review. My insurance required 6 months, and at first I was upset, but then I realized how much of a blessing it was because I really needed to prepare mentally for this life change.  My insurance plan required the following:
  • 6 dietary documentations from a medical professional. I was lucky that my surgeon performed these visits. For 6 months I met with him to review my dietary progress and along the way, we formed a bond. I'm so happy I chose him.
  • No weight gain from your initial starting weight. I'm sure there could be reasons why your insurance would approve surgery with a weight gain, but I didn't even want to go there.
  • BMI over 40 - or BMI of 35 with several co-morbiditites. I had a BMI over 40 along with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and mild sleep apnea, which was discovered during testing.
Now, my bariatric program had additional requirements:
  • Extensive blood work 
  • Sleep apnea study
  • Upper endoscopy
  • Attendance at three pre-op support group meetings
  • Psychological clearance by a mental health professional
  • Three dietician visits - two group meetings and one individual meeting
So, it's really wasn't a gut check decision. I had plenty of time to make sure this was the right choice for me. I couldn't have asked for a better bariatric program or a better surgeon. 

So, as I sign off and get back to relaxing before Matilda starts shouting again, thank you for reading. I will have pictures next week at my 1 month review.  You'll find my stats below.

Weight Loss Stats
  • HW 361 lbs (circa 2006)
  • SW 278
  • CW 264.4
  • GW 160

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body  that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night. I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Well, another week down.  It was somethin' else.  Things seemed to be moving along great.  Last week I was firing on all cylinders.  It was the last week that my gym would be closed for renovations, so I was looking forward to getting back to my regular schedule.  Kettlebells and I were getting along great.  I remember wondering where D.T. was.  He hadn't showed up for quite some time.  I felt a bit smug.  Perhaps, I had him beat.  Yeah...right. D.T. and his damn cousin Murphy came back for a visit.  They showed up every single day.  Little BASTARDS! On Monday, D.T. tried to convince me to step off the elliptical after 45 minutes.  I was so tired, so why don't I just check out early.  And, I thought about it too.  I mean 45 minutes is a substantial workout, right?  What's another 15 minutes?  I decided to stay on and back off on my intensity.  I was able to finish my hour and cool down.  So, at least I had him beat that day. Tuesday was just fucked.  All the way ar