Skip to main content

Is Will Power Overrated??

Hey readers!  I hope everyone had a good week.  I had a fantastic week considering that my gym was closed down for renovations.  I had no problems adjusting my schedule to use the secondary gym.  I even popped up this past Thursday morning at 3:15 am with no fuss, and successfully completed a full Zumba routine on the Wii.  It's quite the sensation to Shake Your Body that vigorously at 4 in the morning.  I did feel like death warmed over by 2 pm.  Let's just say I slept really good that night.

I've also had three sessions with the kettlebells now.  I really like the Jillian Michaels DVD that goes with kettlebells.  She has some very challenging workouts, and it really gets my heart rate up and the sweat is pouring off me.  I'm glad that the DVD has two different workouts.  So, when I master the first one, I can move to the second, which is even more challenging.  I can tell a difference too.  My guns are popping a little bit (LOL), and I'm starting to see some definition in my upper arms.  My waist line continues to shrink, and my endurance is way up.  I even took a full minute off my 5K time this morning.  Seems like I roaring on all cylinders...so TWO thumbs up for this week.

I also shared my blog address with the LiveStrong community so I want to welcome all of the members that have stopped by to say hi.  If you haven't had a chance, I strongly suggest you visit the site (http://www.livestrong.com/).  It is an amazing resource and you receive great support from many people who are on their way to better health and a better life.

A few people this week have asked me what I've been up to.  What am I doing to lose weight?  I know many are curious because I've lost weight before with low-carbing.  However, I've said this before, and I'll stress it again.  I do not feel that going on a diet that restricts carbs is the right way to go.  Your body is meant to use protein, fat, and carbohydrate to function.  Any diet that overly restricts any of the three will eventually lead to complications and failure. Now, don't start flaming me because you disagree.  This is my personal opinion based on my personal experience.  I was freaking miserable when I was on that low carb mess.  I'm much happier and satisfied now, and all I'm going is counting my calories, making good food choices, and moving.  That's it.

Then...some say that I don't have the will power or motivation to do it.  Believe me, I completely understand that as well.  But, I also feel that will power is bullshit.  It's not your will power that's holding you back.  It's a choice.  Either you decide to do it, or you don't.  When you HONESTLY decide to do it, then make it a HABIT.  Habit trumps will power every time.  Why?  Because we are creatures of habit.  Habit = Routine. 

Habit is defined by Webster Dictionary as "an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary."  Now, when exercise becomes a habit, your body craves it. It becomes involuntary.  You require it as part of your day.  That type of response is much stronger that will power.  That's why I feel that it's so important to make the time.  Find a time to do your workout.  Schedule it in your calendar if you need to.  Find what you love, and pursue it with passion.  Make it your own.  Embrace it.  Excel at it. Love it. 

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Comments

  1. Hi! I love the blog! Keep the momentum and the positive attitude. I do believe in habits and forming new and healthier ones throughout life. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi NickO! Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Me?

Hello there! It's been six months since my last blog post, so I suppose it's time to let you all know what I've been up to. My goals I set for myself are still steady, and I hope by the end of the year that I've accomplished them. I'm pretty confident that I can reach them although I've been sidelined for a bit, and I haven't had the opportunity to work out as I'd like. Let me explain. As most of you know, I've been on a weight loss journey of the ages. My highest recorded weight was 361 pound circa 2006 - around the time I was in grad school. Things were quite bleak, stressful and lonely. Not to mention all the health issues I had. So I lost weight on a doctor supervised Protein Sparing Modified Fast - now popularly called Ketogenetic diet - it worked, and I got down to 220's, but it didn't stick unfortunately. At that point, I pursued weight loss surgery, and my insurance approved me for a gastric by-pass, but I wasn't sure a

A Diet By Any Other Name...

Folks, you better hold on tight.  It's about to get a bit bumpy.  It's time for my first rant, and it's a doozy.  I went to my physician today.  I needed to get a form signed so I could join the fitness center at my work location.  I also wanted to discuss my medications since I was having trouble with one of them, and I didn't want it replaced with another.  I wanted to work on my diabetes with the meds I already take and include better food choices and exercise. So, I explained why I was there, and that I didn't want to take any more meds.  I wanted to get off the meds.  Doc was on-board as long as my blood work didn't show any dire situations.  So far so good. I then asked Doc if it was possible that I could get off all my meds by losing weight, and Doc said absolutely.  Again...good news. So, Doc started checking my over.  Getting my vitals and such asking how I'm planning on losing weight.  I stated that I had been on a low-carb diet before (no